Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Stripping Away Form - Larry Mendte

Our most recent assignment was an eye-opener for me about form and function. What I discovered is that form indeed follows function.  But once function is born, form becomes immensely more important.  For when you strip away form, function is lost.  I didn't realize this until we stripped away form and saw what remains. 

The most jarring difference was when you stripped away CSS and saw the stark list of images, information and links compiled with little form and no reason.  I had argued before that form can't ever venture too far away from function or its very purpose is lost.  It always must remain true to its function.  With this assignment, I also found that form can't stay too close to function either.  For when it does, function is lost.  It must compliment, market and support function, but in its own way and on its own terms.

The Zen Garden is a great example.  It wasn't very "Zen" without CSS.  I'm sure that was the point.  I am curious as to why CSS is not taken seriously by Graphic artists as it seems to be a powerful tool?  But I guess it is the way an artist looks down on a paint roller. or a musician looks down on computerized drums.  Sometimes the mechanism diminishes the craft, or at least is perceived to do so.

What I have take away from this assignment is the importance of each aspect of a web site's design.  As an example I urge you to visit the Norwegian Cruise Web Site.  I love the design.  The image is big and bold and absolutely seduces you into buying a cruise.  As part of the image slide show, there is a video that further enhances the mood.  Everything is framed by the page colors, that are purposely dark and muted shades of blue so that the image will pop.  When the page color is removed, the image doesn't work nearly as well.  Its like someone turned the light on in a theater.  All of the colors compliment the central image, as does the layout and layering provided by CSS.  The information and links are easily accessible and nearby when you want them.  They are not intrusive, but instead compliment the image.  They answer the question the image stirs inside of you.  How do I get one of these cruises?

Form supporting function.  The function is to sell a cruise.  The images and colors make you want the cruise.  The links and information make it possible.  Not to belabor the point, but think about it.  Yes, form follows function in initial design.  But after the site is designed, function follows form.   Or, maybe its better said this way - when a site is designed well, form leads to function.



















 

5 comments:

  1. Larry great post. The first paragraph really summed up how I felt when I began to strip away the elements of a website and realize that the function of the site was also being stripped.

    You are correct the Norwegian cruise site is pretty cruise persuasive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the Norwegian site in my project as well! I actually went on a Norwegian cruise last March as my senior year spring break. My friends and I were looking into a bunch of cruises. The Norwegian site was so appealing and easy to navigate around and I truly believe thats why we ended up choosing their cruise line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do agree the Norwegian Cruise Lines is a well put together site. I liked what you wrote in the final paragraph.

    Form follows function initially.
    Once designed function follows form
    I think what you should have wrote in the final sentence is, function ever follows form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I agree with criley, your first paragraph hits the nail right on the head.

    Additionally, stripping away the CSS is something that I have noticed a lot of people were surprised by. I personally was more surprised by the "Linearize page" function - it just looked awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Its like someone turned the light on in a theater."

    Larry, that's a great quote when it comes to talking about CSS. It's almost like walking in blind, not knowing where everything is. Having these pictures, colors and styles help make it easier for us to navigate.

    ReplyDelete