Sunday, November 6, 2011

Let Me See You Stripped..


This was my first experience with the Web Developer plugin and it was quite an interesting experience. Stripping away the various layers of the sites form helped me better understand the carious elements that make a site cohesive and visually appealing. Color, images and layout all have a role in making a site truly work.

The site I used in my example was Norwegian Cruise Line. When I began taking the images away, there was clearly a visual void in the center of the site. Nothing really made sense. It no longer grabbed your attention, nor did it have that ‘wow’ factor. I realized how the image of a Macaw made the site exciting and colorful. Without one, it was boring. It looked unfinished and sloppy. Next I disabled the color. It didn’t have the same dramatic effect that removing the images did; that is, if I did not know it was missing, I probably wouldn’t have noticed. It did make the site look better when it was enabled, and there was a noticeable difference, but nothing too severe.

The biggest surprise and most striking change was when the CSS styles were disabled. Here, you could definitely notice the importance of layout and CSS on this site. All the information was placed along the left side of the site. Photographs & font were all different sizes and not at all cohesive. It was dull, boring and difficult to navigate. If you were looking for any information on a cruise, or the cruise line, good luck!

I think from this exercise, I definitely feel there should be some type of CSS standard, like with the Zen Garden page. Having a flashy, exciting site is wonderful and visually stunning, having a site that functions and people can properly navigate is even more wonderful. A site should be created so as to be user-friendly on a variety of browsers.  For a site to fulfill it’s purpose, the design must work.

No comments:

Post a Comment