Saturday, December 3, 2011

Salon.com magazine or newspaper?

Salon.com is an online liberal magazine. It focuses on delivering USA politics and reviews and articles on music, film, and books. This online magazine is designed in a tabloid layout. This magazine is consistent with its layout throughout the whole website. When visiting this website, you feel as if you are on a news website instead of a magazine’s website. Salon.com online magazine lacks pictures and is solely driven by its story.

When I think of a magazine I think of fascinating layouts and amazing ways of placing images. I think of dimensional pages and the usage of lots of colors. However, this magazine lacks colors, large pictures, and enjoyable layouts. I dislike how lengthy the threads are on this website. They don’t utilize links to navigate through different web pages; they just place them all on one page.

Online magazines do take away from the feeling of buying a magazine on a stand. Simply by removing a lot of the ads you lose a chunk of the excitement you had when opening a magazine. I remember buying Glamour magazine just to see what new fragrance and bags were available for the season. I don’t visit online magazine for this purpose anymore. When I visit a magazine online I am just interested in the images and brief articles.

Salon.com is almost identical to visiting a news website. For this, I believe that there should be something implemented for magazine websites to stay consistent with their “magazine feel” layout.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with buying magazines in print form simply for the ads inside. I get Glamour in the mail each month and love to look through it to find the perfume ads. I chose to do my screen cast on Glamour and noticed that the website was VERY cluttered and boring. There is something about a hard copy magazine that can never be placed in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- there is something about hard copy magazines. It's the same mind numbing, eyes glossed over, hours lost at a time experience that I have with Angry Birds. But I haven't felt that way about an online magazine yet.

    I was really unimpressed with Salon.com. It definitely felt more like a newspaper than a magazine. Likewise, it felt like a hard copy newspaper rather than a website.

    Salon.com was a big flop in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete