Saturday, December 3, 2011

Online magazine Observation

I had a difficult time finding a magazine on the web that did not have a print counterpart so I chose to evaluate http://www.alistapart.com/ (one of the examples given in the module description).

This website is set up very similar to a blog. It it is very easy to read and navigate through and the colors are neutral but perfect for the web. The 3 column set up makes the homepage easy to read and the large text in the navigation bar makes it easy to find your way around the site. It is nice that you can click on all names of authors and article titles to learn more. Interaction is key when building an online magazine. Another feature that I thought helped organize the site is the ability to search through topics. The site is calm and is not confusing or cluttered at all. Overall, this site looks very professional and well made.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I went to A List Apart and found the layout boring. I think this highlights the real graphic designers have. To much is cluttered - too little gets no attention.

    But on the A List Apart site, the lack of color, images and design really turned me off. They were trying to hard to look like old media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that the colors and set up of the site are a bit boring but still had better readability that some other sites that I checked out (Glamour.com being one of them). Though I definitely agree with you, I thought this was one of the better layouts that I had seen. Site like these have a long way to come still but as long as designers steer clear of clutter I think they are moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete